Wednesday 6 April 2011

Degree Show 'Cake Shop'

Piece de Resistance.

I was thinking more and more about the commercial side of the cakes.  Business. how far I'd come.  What defined my cakes- what made them stand out- the aesthetic. Folk art, craft, homely.  Cake business- serious- how would I want my cake shop to look?  A parallel world?

Cake Shops- visual treat.









I was also aware of the growing trend of cake culture. What did it signify?  Escapism. DIY.  Response to recession. Freedom. Turning away. Quick fix. Or DIY/homemade.  This cake shop was a comment on this new development.  

Visual inspiration:

Jason Rhoades:





Niki de Saint Phalle.

Yayoi Kusama.



Georges Bures Miller



Outsider Art.

Disney/Fairytales/folklore- Alice in Wonderland, Little Shop of Horror.


















But also interactive- it was a shop after all.  I wanted to explore alternative methods of exchange/batering.  For every cake I made in shop- would be for sale.  But not for money. 

Jason Rhodes, Nicoline var Harskamp, Harrell Fletcher, Mario Ybarra Jr. (New China Barber Shop), St George Marsh, Pawell Altamer, Gareth Moore and Jacab Gleeson, Rosler.

Pop Life. Keith Haring. Murakami.

Finally- I can't forget to include one of my favourite places- Sorastros on Drury Lane, London.


No comments:

Post a Comment