Wednesday 6 April 2011

Birthday Cake, Forest Cafe

What is the Forest Cafe? A volunteer run arts initiative in Edinburgh.  Non-hierarchy.  It is a central part of Edinburgh's cultural scene- means a lot to people. Art gallery, cafe, music venue.  Throughout my five years living in Edinburgh, I came to the Forest, regularly, but this was the first summer I volunteered. It also happened to be the summer that the Forest celebrated its 10th birthday- and I put myself forward to make the cake! 

The challenge was to made a cake which catered for about 150 guests.  I also wanted it to epitomised what the Forest Cafe was about- equality, creativity and DIY.  Myself and a team of Forest volunteers set about designing a cake which fitted the bill- and came up with a design for a nine foot wooden structure in the shape of a cake which guests (2 at a time) could go into and take a cupcake- hanging on a ribbon from the ceiling of the cake. 

This happened at the end of a 10 course banquet.  We were all given candles to put in our cupcakes, and sang 'happy birthday' to the Forest at the top of our voices. It was an epic moment.





No comments:

Post a Comment