Wednesday 6 April 2011

Cake Exhibition- Wee Red Lounge

A chance for me to display my cake sculptures for the first time.  I ventured more into cakes. Began to take inspiration from the world around me. My travels, books I read, memories, architecture. I got more ambitious with the structure. I wanted to push the boundaries of what a cake could be.  I spent a few months preparing for this exhibition.

I hired out the Wee Red Lounge Gallery at ECA.

The exhibition also coincided with my birthday.  This was pretty interesting.  Artists shows are a sort of celebration of their life, aren't they?  Six of the cakes were for display purposes. But I made one central cake- the most structurally ambitious, which was to be eaten by the viewers on the final night of the exhibition.  A blatant celebration of me. I wanted to play with the idea of birthday celebrations- what part/role does the cake play? What matters the most- its appearance, or the consumption? Does it matter who makes the cake?  What if it is the birthday girl herself?









No comments:

Post a Comment